Walsingham Cell, St. George's Hanworth Park
There are currently over 160 Walsingham Cells active throughout the UK, USA and Australia, of which we are one.
Walsingham is called 'England's Nazareth' and the Shrine there honours the Incarnation of Our Blessed Lord, for it was at Nazareth that Gabriel announced to Mary, God's plan for our salvation and at Walsingham that a vision was given to build a holy house to replicate the home of the Holy Family at Nazareth.
As a cell we observe the feasts of the Annunciation of the Lord (March 25th) and Assumption of Our Lady (August 15th), together with the remembrance of the translation of the image of Our Lady of Walsingham from the Parish Church to the present Shrine in 1931 (October 15th.) On these days in particular, we pray for the work of the Shrine and to give thanks for its witness to the mystery of the incarnation. We also meet as a cell on the last Thursday of every month to offer Mass for the Shrine and for the objects of the Society:
- To honour Mary, the Mother of God and to deepen faith in the incarnation of our Lord.
- To promote devotion to Our Lady and pilgrimage to Walsingham.
- To further, with the aid of Our Lady's prayers, the conversion of the nations and the re-union of Christendom.
- To seek holiness of life through prayer, the scriptures and the sacraments.
Anyone may visit the Cell and its activities. Anyone may join the Cell. There is an annual fee to cover the registration at Walsingham and minor running expenses of the Cell.
It is our prayer that the Cell of Our Lady of Walsingham - St. George's Hanworth Park, will enable a deepening of personal spirituality and an energizing of Mission at St. George's. We hope that you will enthuse new members, recruit many members and fully participate yourself.
The Cell of Our Lady of Walsingham at St. George's Hanworth is associated with the Society of the Holy House of Our Lady of Walsingham in Norfolk.
In 1061 the Lady Richeldis, the Saxon lady of the Manor of Walsingham, had a vision of the Blessed Virgin Mary. As a result of this vision, she had built a replica of the House of the Holy Family at Nazareth. At the site of the house in Walsingham there was also a Holy Well. The shrine became known as England's Nazareth and became a major place of pilgrimage for 500 years, second only to Canterbury. Augustinians and Franciscans established a priory church.
In 1538, during the reign of Henry VIII, the shrine was destroyed and for the next 400 years Walsingham reverted to quiet village life. In the 1920's Fr Hope Patten, the parish priest of the parish church of St Mary's in Walsingham, re-established the shrine and once again Walsingham became a place of pilgrimage. The present shrine was completed in 1932 and on October 15th the statue of Our Lady of Walsingham was translated from St Mary's to the Holy House which, since that time, has grown as a place of pilgrimage. The shrine focuses on the Incarnation-the mystery of the life, death and resurrection of Jesus Christ. In a constantly changing world, Walsingham speaks about the eternal and permanent things which God reveals to us in Jesus Christ. At Walsingham there is a great work of prayer. Prayers are said at the shrine for people everywhere; for pilgrims who bring their intercessions, as well as for those who write letters from all parts of the world.
At St. George's Hanworth, the members of the Cell of Our Lady of Walsingham attend a special mass and offer prayers for those in need, particularly those who ask for our love and prayers. Members also take the names of those who ask for our prayers, and remember them in their personal prayers. Masses for the Cell of Our Lady of Walsingham are offered regularly